It’s an unwritten rule of the web: If it’s new and hyper-addictive, a drinking game must be made.
Vine, Twitter's app that allows users to shoot six-second videos and Tweet them, is entertaining on its own. There’s six-second cat videos, six-second stop-motion “look how fast I ate my soup” videos and six-second “I’m trying out Vine for the first time and will never use it again” videos.
After about a week, the service has already seen big names like Sir Paul McCartney, the Brooklyn Nets and Tyra Banks join in with thousands of others trying the service out. But it’s still new, and in all likelihood, you might not see too many pass through your feed. The solution? Vinepeek.com, a service that aggregates all vine videos posted to Twitter in real time and plays them one after the other. Every six seconds, until you decide to close the tab three-and-a-half hours later.
In the spirit of spirits and making sure no flashy Internet phenomenon goes without a drinking game companion, sit back, pour one out and prepare to see a lot of half-eaten food and skylines. And a metric-damn-ton of cats.
- Cat: Take a small sip. This is a marathon not a sprint. If you are watching Vinepeek with a cat on your lap, take a large chug and rethink what you’re doing right now.
- Children doing nothing of significance: Two drinks. It will make you feel less creepy.
- Annoying middle- or high- schoolers doing nothing of significance: One drink. Get a job, kids.
- Vine in Russian: Take a drink off the next turn. In Soviet Russia, drink sips you!
- Pretentious hipster art: Big gulp. NEXT.
- A Chicago Vine: One drink. If it’s within a five-block radius from you, three drinks.
- “My first vine”: Two drinks.
- A Vine of someone drinking the same thing as you: Four drinks, and you must tweet that person. (Vinepeek has a “save” option that allows you to see the Twitter user that posted it.)
- Stop-motion eating: Sip. You’ll be seeing a lot of these, too.
- Stop-motion drawing: Two drinks. Three if the person actually has talent. Good for them.
- Stop-motion cooking: Half-sip. And write yourself a note to eat.
- A “Social Media Expert with a six-second Vine Tutorial”: Five drinks. God these people suck.
- PUPPIES! NO DRINKS. Save the video and watch it a few more times later.
- Someone committing a violent crime: CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY.
- Any nudity: Shot. Seriously, what is this, Chatroulette? People know these are public right?
- A recurring character: One drink, and add one more each time they reappear. “Sink Cat,” is one of them. He’s a white cat that drinks drips out of a sink.
- BABY GIRAFFE: Spill your drink.
- An ad: Two drinks. Really? After only a week?
- A Vine that makes you, or the group, say “stupid” or “next”: One drink.
- A Vine of someone you know: Finish whatever you are drinking. Now you’re done. Close the window and black out.
Want more? Discuss this article and others on RedEye's Facebook page.