Courtesy of Namco/Bandai's ShiftyLook.com comes this EXCLUSIVE… (Namco/Bandai Games & Udon…)
Here's a secret I've had to sit on for months now, and now I finally get a chance to talk about it! Earlier this year I was approached by the folks of Shiftylook.com, a fun bunch of gaming geeks that produce web-comics for NAMCO BANDAI. They wanted to know if I would be interested in participating in their upcoming celebration for the 30th Anniversary of the classic arcade game "Dig Dug" by writing a web-comic that "re-imagines" the character for the 21st century.
Since then, I had been sworn to secrecy, that is until Shiftylook made the official announcement yesterday:
ShiftyLook Assembles Eclectic Mix of Cartoonists & Writers for Dig Dug 30th Anniversary Webcomics Collaboration Project
NAMCO BANDAI Games' webcomics portal to feature Dig Dug-inspired contributions from Jerry Holkins, Mike Krahulik, Scott Kurtz and many others this summer
TOKYO, JAPAN – May 9, 2012 – NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc., a subsidiary of NAMCO BANDAI Holdings Inc. (TYO: 7832), announced today during the inaugural ShiftyCast podcast a webcomics collaboration project to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the legendary Dig Dug franchise. Appearing on its ShiftyLook webcomics platform, Dig Dug comics join NAMCO BANDAI Games's extensive line-up of webcomics re-imagining classic arcade games including smash hits Bravoman (writer: Matt Moylan; artist: Dax Gordine) and The Five-Dimensional Adventures of Dirk Davies (writer: Ben McCool; artist: Dean Haspiel). ShiftyLook can be accessed at SHIFTYLOOK.com.
“Dig Dug is one of those iconic games that means a lot to retro gamers, especially those of us who grew up constantly trying to inflate many a Fygar, so we wanted to do something very special for the webcomic,” said Rob Pereyda, Producer & Editor-in-Chief of ShiftyLook for NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc. “And I think we just might have the comics team-up of the summer and a must read for video games and webcomics fans alike.”
Each creative team will craft self-contained Dig Dug stories, with a different angle brought each time. A partial list of talent is as follows (additional talent to be announced):
• Raynato Castro (Buttersafe)
• Jeff “Chamba” Cruz (ShiftyLook’s Sky Kid)
• Javier Charro (Soul & Sword)
• Alex Culang (Buttersafe)
• Omar Dogan (ShiftyLook’s Wonder Momo)
• Joey Esposito (Footprints)
• Greg Fisher (Vivian)
• Dax “D-Gee” Gordine (ShiftyLook’s Bravoman)
• Dean Haspiel (ShiftyLook’s The Five-Dimensional Adventures of Dirk Davies)
• Marko Head (Vivian)
• Jerry Holkins (Penny Arcade)
• JJ Kirby (ShiftyLook title to be announced at London MCM Expo on 26 May)
• Mike Krahulik (Penny Arcade)
• Erik Ko (ShiftyLook’s Wonder Momo)
• Scott Kurtz (PVP)
• Nick Langley (Rocket Llama)
• David Maliki (Wondermark)
• Ben McCool (ShiftyLook’s The Five-Dimensional Adventures of Dirk Davies)
• Matthew Melvin (Cyanide & Happiness)
• R. K. Milholland (Something Positive)
• Matt Moylan (ShiftyLook’s Bravoman)
• Hoang Nguyen (Carbon Grey)
• Ryan North (Dinosaur Comics)
• Robert “Robaato” Porter (Title to be announced Summer 2012)
• Krishna Sadasivam (PC Weenies)
• Elliott Serrano (Geek to Me)
• Edmund Shern (ShiftyLook’s Scar)
• Kris Straub (chainsawsuit)
• J. Torres (Rat Rage)
• Zach Weiner (Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal)
• J. N. Wiedle (Helvetica)
• Marv Wolfman (ShiftyLook title to be announced at London MCM Expo on 26 May)
• Jim Zub (ShiftyLook’s Wonder Momo, ShiftyLook’s Sky Kid)
Additional Dig Dug collaborators will be announced at a later date.
ShiftyLook is available worldwide in English, free of charge, through web browsers for PC, Mac, iOS and Android, and through free RSS feeds. Participation in the ShiftyLook community is exclusively through BANDAI NAMCO ID, the NAMCO BANDAI Group's official user ID system, which is available worldwide. BANDAI NAMCO ID is not required to interact with the official ShiftyLook Twitter account (@ShiftyLook) or Facebook Page (fb.com/ShiftyLook).
Seeing my name as part of a roster of truly legendary web-comic creators is humbling. (And intimidating!) I'm anxious to see what these creators have in mind and how we all stack up against each other.
As part of paying forward my good fortune, I will be passing my writing fee from Shiftylook on to The Hero Initiative, a charitable organization dedicated to assisting comics professionals in financial need. If you're a fan of comic-books, and the people who help create them, I would encourage you to check the Hero Initiative out and kick in a couple bucks if you can.