La Cocina serves vegetarian "chorizo" tacos. (Lenny Gilmore/RedEye )
Logan Square is laden with taquerias of all kinds, from tried-and-true favorites to hidden gems. Bring a big appetite and a light wallet for a multiple-mile jaunt down Milwaukee Avenue. This whole trip should ring in at less than $20.
1) Start with tasty tacos inside a small grocery store at Tierra Caliente #2 (2556 W. Armitage Ave. 773-486-5936). The carne asada, made from freshly carved flank steak, is grilled until it’s nicely charred on the outside but still moist on the inside.
2) West on Milwaukee, Taqueria Los Comales (2148 N. Milwaukee Ave. 773-276-0627) serves up palm-size tacos. Order the chicken and heap on some tangy house-made pickles.
3) The duly popular Taqueria Moran (2226 N. California Ave. 773-235-2663) is known for the taco al pastor. The adobado-style pork has notes of chili and caramelized sweetness.
4) Nearby, Dos Amigos (2320 N. Milwaukee Ave. 773-292-0106) makes an outstanding chorizo taco, which is perfectly peppery, with hints of cinnamon.
5) The goat taco at El Charro (2410 N. Milwaukee Ave. 773-278-2514) is dripping with ancho flavor.
6) Passing the Square, La Cocina (2901 N. Kedzie Ave. 773-588-5799) makes vegan versions featuring locally made seitan. Finish the tour with a meatless chorizo taco, which just might taste as good as the real thing.