The glitzy Gold Coast has always been a popular neighborhood for bridal showrooms. Appointments are suggested at all dress shops, so schedule strategically to make the most of your trip.
(1) Simple, sophisticated gowns take center stage at Jenny Yoo Collection (300 W. Superior St. Suite 102. 312-642-2327), where you can also browse maids dresses and a mini-collection of special-order sashes and belts to add a dash of glam.
(2) On the same street, find the bridal studio of Vwidon (360 W. Superior St. 312-654-9078), the joint creation of two School of the Art Institute of Chicago grads who are also husband and wife.
(3) Stroll several blocks north and make it a two-stop shop at 1 E. Delaware, where you’ll find two dress shops right in the same building. Mira Couture carries its own line of custom-designed gowns, plus a handful of international designers (Mezzanine level; 312-255-1699), while Bella Bridesmaid (4) (1 E. Delaware St. Suite 200. 312-943-0344), carries an impressive array of maids dresses, including lines such as Lula Kate and Two Birds’ super-popular convertible dresses.
(5) On the corner of Rush and Oak streets, look for the freshly opened flagship of bridal industry goddess Vera Wang (945 N. Rush St. third floor. 312-379-5355).
(6) Label lovers won’t want to miss Belle Vie (34 E. Oak St. 312-751-2222), which carries Amsale, Lanvin and Valentino, as well as Ultimate Bride (7) (106 E. Oak St. 312-337-6300), where you’ll find gowns by Monique Lhuillier, Badgley Mischka and Marchesa.
(8) Saucy British lingerie shop Agent Provocateur (47 E. Oak St. 312-335-0229) is not to be missed for racy underthings made from luxurious fabrics—with prices to match.
(9) End your jaunt on Michigan Avenue, where you’ll find the only Midwest location of J. Crew (900 N. Michigan Ave. 773-751-2739) stocking samples of the company’s popular bridal and bridesmaids dresses.