Kermit, Miss Piggy and their Muppet friends return to the big screen Wednesday with "The Muppets," a new movie starring Amy Adams and Jason Segel.
To gear up for the big opening, the Muppets collaborated with OK Go on their newest theme song, Miss Piggy released a makeup line and, now, nail polish manufacturer OPI offers a holiday collection of 12 colors inspired by the iconic show.
Yes, Muppet maniacs can tint their tips and toes with colors like "Gone Gonzo" and "Animal-istic." Following the advice of "The Muppet Show Theme Song" -- "It's time to put on makeup. It's time to dress up right"--we tested the Muppet collection's two basic categories of polish, chunky glitter and shimmery hues.
The glitters are by far more eye-catching in the bottle, with grass-green shade "Fresh Frog of Bel Air" and holiday red "Getting' Miss Piggy with It" looking like standouts.
Most of the glitters are in clear bases and work best over solid colors. The only exception is "Excuse Moi," a fuchsia pink loaded with smaller glitter.
"Rainbow Connection," a multicolored confetti glitter, could sparkle over black or gold, but it's green-heavy and looks like Christmas threw up on your nails without the right contrast.
The surprise winners in our nail test wound up being two of the metallics. Both give off high shine and are a bit reminiscent of Chanel's popular "Graphite" polish:
"Warm And Fozzie"--a chocolate brown and gold foil; "Designers De Better"--a silvery foil with a touch of gold.
The other four shimmers are reds or burgundies, which are repetitive and make it unnecessary to pick up the entire collection. "Pepe's Purple Passion" offers a take on the now-standard "Lincoln Park After Dark" color, throwing in chunks of pink flakes that unfortunately get lost from far away.
The only person likely to buy all 12 choices is a Muppets collector. Everyone else will be more than happy picking up one or two of the best polishes. I received compliments wearing "Designers De Better" and would definitely wear "Warm And Fozzie" again. One of the colored glitters like "Gone Gonzo" could work well over a complementary solid color.
TO GET THEM
The polishes are available now at stores and salons for a suggested price of $8.50 per bottle. Try the colors on (virtually) at opi.com.
- "Animalistic" (shimmer red)
- "Meep Meep Meep" (red with glitter flakes)
- "Wocka Wocka" (frosty red)
- "Pepe's Purple Passion" (deep burgundy with glitter flakes)
- "Designer De Better" (ivory metallic)
- "Warm and Fozzie" (chocolate metallic)
- "Rainbow Connection" (multicolored glitter in clear base)
- "Excuse Moi" (multicolored glitter in pink base)
- "Gone Gonzo" (blue and silver glitter in clear base)
- "Fresh Frog of Bel Air" (green and silver glitter in clear base)
- "Divine Swine" (purple and silver glitter in clear base)
- "Gettin' Miss Piggy with It" (red and silver glitter in clear base).